USAID Rules & Regulations: Grants & Cooperative AgreementsInsideNGO is a collaborative community that strengthens the operational and management capacity of the international development and relief non-profit community in the pursuit of global development.
"Probably the best USAID rules and regs workshop there is."
"I feel rejuvenated & ready to practice the rules & regs - I understand my job better."
"I heard the training was good - but it was even better than I expected! I learned something new every hour."
"I feel better equipped to deal with USAID rules and regs and have established a good foundation on which to build."
"[The training has] given me an insight and a broader view of all what I need to know and where to find information."
International organizations that rely on USAID funding to support their programs often face many challenges in effectively managing these awards. The rules and regulations associated with award management are complex and often change. Organizations need staff members who understand how USAID awards work and can effectively manage the plethora of USAID – and other US Government - rules and regulations to maintain donor compliance.
This workshop will equip participants with a comprehensive knowledge of USAID grants and cooperative agreements. Participants will improve their ability to manage awards and build the confidence to guide their organizations through successful award implementation. Participants will return to work equipped to navigate the circulars, handbooks, and other rules and regulations that underlie all USAID and USG awards, and with strategies for building and coordinating relationships that are critical to successful USAID award and program management.
What you will learn:
Participants will review the details of all the regulations and policies that govern management of grants and cooperative agreements. Each participant will build their own manual of updated regulations and policies to use as a daily reference guide to manage awards. Everyday issues encountered in award management such as; determining allowable costs; correct procedures for purchasing equipment; limits on budget revisions; record retention and avoiding common audit findings, etc. will be addressed with strategies for finding the answers to these confusing issues. The workshop also offers participants a unique opportunity to connect with peers, examine the realities of managing USAID awards, gain ideas from each other’s experiences and develop strategies for handling real-life situations. While the focus of this workshop will be on USAID funding for grants and cooperative agreements, it also provides a good foundation for understanding other types of federal funding.
The workshop is taught by a senior practitioner who represents decades of experience managing USAID grants and cooperative agreements - and who share their lessons learned. It is a highly participatory workshop that combines instruction with large and small group formats, ample Question and Answer time, and opportunities to speak with the trainer throughout.
- Assess award implementation issues and learn to research the applicable rules and regulations
- Determine when approvals, waivers and extensions are required and how to obtain them
- Identify situations when you need to seek guidance from USAID or headquarters
- Apply USAID rules and regulations to ensure compliant and successful program implementation
- Determine how your organization’s internal policies will affect your award administration and recommend policy adjustments
- Understand the structure of USAID and how to build cooperative relationships with key players
- Prepare your organization to meet the criteria for successful audits
- Maintain appropriate files and documentation to be prepared for reports and audits
- Apply appropriate policies and procedures to award and manage sub-award funding
- Utilize USAID jargon for effective communication
- Practice solving real case-study challenges while working in small groups and referencing the regulations
Who should attend:
Finance, Contracts & Grants staff, Administrative staff, Program staff, Development staff, Independent auditors, USAID staff. Individuals who need to ensure compliance, understand requirements from a field perspective, understand relationships with USAID and negotiate awards, prepare for or conduct audits and, need an update to the latest USAID rules and regulations.
How do I register?:
Click here for the registration form. You can also register for this event by sending an email to workshops@InsideNGO.org and requesting a Registration Form. You can phone 203-226-3650 for further information on this workshop.
What you will receive:
- Course manual with primary government source documents affecting grants and cooperative agreements
- 24 CPE credits (total for 3 days attendance) applicable for continuing education with the National Registry of CPE Sponsors (for further information see explanation of continuing education credits on this website)
- An opportunity to ask questions of experienced practitioners who have dealt with many of the same issues you encounter in your work
Earn CPE Credits
Participants at the workshop will earn 8 CPE credits for each day of the Workshop (for a total of 24 for the three days) and receive a certificate of attendance. The course level is beginner. No advance preparation is required. No prerequisites. Delivery method of this program is Group-Live.
InsideNGO is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.learningmarket.org.
For more information regarding administrative policies, such as complaint, cancellation and refund, please contact our offices at 203-226-3650 or workshops@InsideNGO.org.
InsideNGO, 1221 Post Road East
Westport CT, 06880, 203-226-3650 Website (URL): https://sites.google.com/a/insidengo.org/accrarr0912/home Organizer: InsideNGO Event Location: Labadi Beach Hotel, Accra, Ghana Start Date: 2012-09-06 12:25 End Date: 2012-09-14 12:00